The art of questioning
A question seems to be a trivial everyday phenomenon: Where did I leave my pencil? When does my train arrive? … It seems no big deal asking questions. But asking the right question at the right time to the right person with the right words is an art! How many friends do you need? Do you want to be helped? What is the added value of these words? Asking them in a well-formulated way and based on accurate listening, requires a lot of exercise and a lot of feeling for the ‘kairos’, the right moment. With an efficient question, you can influence your client, partner, student in a very thorough way.
In this seminar, we will practice this noble art by doing one exercise after the other. In those exercises, we will go beyond the Socratic method. Brand new approaches to questioning will be introduced that allows you not only to influence the rational part of your client but the feelings and the will as well. The exercises are very practical and can be used in your own training practice.
Where and when?
Monday 13th– Wednesday 15th of september 2021,
‘de la Salle’ Centre, Brussels/Dilbeek
Results of the training course :
- You are efficient in asking your questions: you get what you want
- You are quick and alert in questioning
- You can demand accurate and precise information
- You can distinguish different types of questions and their effects
- You practice the Socratic questioning attitude (of not knowing)
- You can ask the right question with the right words at the right time to the right person
- You have a sense of the ‘appropriateness’ of a question or an intervention
- You have insight into the rhetorical aspects of a question
- You can intensify the reflection of your client
- You can make your client (more) responsible for what he/she says or does
- You can be non-empathical when it is needed.
- You know which rhetorical register to choose in order to influence your client
The objectives and the program proposed will be adjusted to what the participants bring in.
What do participants say?
Video testimonial of Sarah Clift (Phd, South Africa)
This seminar is something for you if you are:
- Working in education
- Working in fields of practical philosophy (philosophy with children, philosophical counseling, Socratic dialogue,…)
- Working as a coach
- Working as a trainer/consultant in companies
- Working in health care
- Working with dialogue and/or reflection in groups
- Interested in sharpening your questioning abilities
Kristof Van Rossem is Master in philosophy. He works as an independent trainer with an international experience of more than 15 years. His speciality are variations of Socratic Dialogue in different organisational settings: companies, schools, social welfare organisations, political parties, medical federations, governmental organisations etc. He published on various kinds of practical philosophy. Kristof is a teacher trainer at the University of Leuven (KULeuven) where he leads an annual seminar in philosophizing with children and adolescents. He teaches a.o. philosophy and (business) ethics at the Odisee University College of Brussels. He is leading an annual training course in Socratic dialogue facilitation a.o. at the ISVW (International School of Philosophy in Leusden).
10.00 : Welcome : introduction + questioning exercise in/and getting to know each other
12.30 : lunch
14.00 : essential requirements of questioning behavior : exercises in efficient and effective questioning
17.00 : break + dinner
20-22 : Exercise in philosophical counselling
9.00 : Intro
9.15-9.45 : The discipline of questions and answers
9.45-10.30 : The basics of Socratic Dialogue
10.30-10.50 : break
10.50 -12.30 : Socratic Dialogue One – on – One
12.30 : lunch
14.00 : The Aristotelian approach in questioning the feelings – the will – the reason
17.00 : break + dinner
20-22 : diplomacy and tact in questioning : Aristotle in practice
9.00 : The objectives of questioning : exercises
10.30 : Philosophical consultancy : exercises
12.30 : lunch
14.00 : Taking turns in leading a dialogue in group
16.00 : back to everyday life : tips and tricks about special cases in organizations
17.00 : farewell drink
Monday 13/09/21 – Wednesday 15/09/21 (8 day parts – total of 22 hours)
The course takes place in the ‘de la Salle’ Centre (named after educational renewer Jean-Baptiste de la Salle 16th Century) in Dilbeek, H.Placestraat 45, 1702 Groot-Bijgaarden. It is a former monastery/castle situated in a beautiful park near a lake. This is at a walking distance from the station of Dilbeek, which is close to the station of Bruxelles-Nord. If you come from the Airport of Zaventem, go to Brussels North station (10 minutes) and then change to L-train in the direction of Aalst-Gent. Get off at Dilbeek station (15 minutes). Language of the course is English.
The early bird price of the course is 395 € (excl. 21% TVA) if you register before the 30th of April 2021. After that, the price of the course is 450 € (excl. 21% TVA). If you register with two, the price for each is 350€.
Included in the price are :
- The seminar + documentation
- lodging in a single or double room for 2 nights including breakfast. The accommodation is basic (there is water in every room and showers for every 3 rooms) but comfortable.
- 2X lunch and 2 X dinner.
- coffee, tea, fruit juice, water and farewell reception is included.
You will get an invoice after registration. The amount is to be payed on Bank account IBAN BE08 0003 2190 5513, BIC BPOTBEB1 by name of Kristof Van Rossem (Bank van de Post). If you want to pay cash, let us know.
There is a maximum of 14 participants so be fast!